Green Curry, Sweet Potato & Chicken Meatballs
How do you keep the meatballs moist? The beautiful thing about meatballs is that you can really make them your own. We added moisture to these chicken meatballs by adding sweet potatoes (yes, sweet potatoes)! Baked chicken can sometimes dry up and the moisture from the grated sweet potatoes helps avoid this.
For the meatballs:
➕450g chicken mince
➕1/4 cup rolled oats, gluten free if desired
➕1/4 cup white whole wheat or gluten free oat flour
➕1 small sweet potato, grated (~1/2 cup, squeezed)
➕1 tsp garlic powder
➕1/2 tsp ground ginger
➕1/4 tsp ground turmeric
➕1/2 tsp ground cumin
➕1/4 tsp salt
➕1/8 tsp pepper
➕1 tsp olive oil
For the curry sauce:
➕1 tbsp olive oil
➕400ml low fat coconut milk
➕1 small red onion, sliced
➕1 red capsicum, sliced
➕1 cup snow peas
➕3 tbsp green curry paste
➕3 tbsp lime juice
➕1/2 tsp chilli or hot sauce
➕Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients for the meatballs (except for olive oil).
- Heat a large, oven safe frying pan over medium heat and add olive oil to the pan. Then, using a tablespoon, scoop out mixture and mold into a ball with your hands. It works best if your hands are slightly moist with water. Place in skillet. Repeat.
- Brown meatballs for 4-5 minutes (you don’t want them to be fully cooked). Remove from heat. Set meatballs aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix coconut milk, curry paste, lime juice, chilli, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in the same skillet you used for the meatballs. Add red onion, red pepper and snow peas. Sauté vegetables for 2 minutes. Add coconut curry sauce to the pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add browned meatballs to the skillet so they are sitting in the curry mixture. Place in the oven and bake at 190C/375ºF for 15 minutes.