Sweet Potato & Avocado Chocolate Cake
For the cake...
- 2 cups raw sweet potato, minced
*see step 2. for method
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup black cocoa powder
*gives milder taste & darker colour, can also use dutch or regular cocoa (flavour & colour will vary slightly).
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
*if too hard at room temperature leave near oven pre-heating to soften.
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the frosting...
- 1 1/2 cup sweet potato, cubed then steamed and mashed *see step 4. for method
- 1/2 cup avocado
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line the bottom of two cake pans with rounds of baking paper.
2. In a food processor mince sweet potato. Then in a blender combine all ingredients for cake until smooth.
3. Divide batter in-between the two cake pans. Bake on 350F/180C for 45-50 minutes, then chill in fridge while you make frosting.
4. For frosting, steam sweet potato cubes, then drain water, and combine with rest of frosting ingredients until smooth (about 5 minutes). Chill until ready to frost.